The popular singer Skeeter Davis was born.
1: Black Eyed Peas and Ham:
- a pound dried black-eyed peas, rinsed, picked over, soaked overnight
- a smoked pork picnic shoulder, about 5 to 7 pounds
- salt and pepper
PREPARATION:Refrigerate peas in soaking liquid until cooking time. Place pork in a large pot; add water to cover. Heat to boiling. Cover and simmer for about 1 1/2 hours. Add drained peas to pot; cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours longer, or until pork and peas are tender.
Remove pork from pot; trim off skin and fat layers. Slice about half of the pork 1/4-inch thick. Season peas with salt and pepper to taste and spoon onto a deep platter. Arrange pork slices over peas. Wrap remaining pork and refrigerate.
Smoked pork picnic recipe serves 6.
2: Black-Eyed Peas with Ginger
- 2 cups dried black-eyed peas, rinsed, and soaked
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 6 slices bacon, 1-inch dice
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup preserved ginger, chopped
- 3/4 cup honey
PREPARATION:Drain and rinse the beans; cover with fresh water and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer for about 45 minutes, or until tender. Add water to keep them from drying out, if necessary.
Preheat oven to 325°.In a heavy skillet, saute onion and bacon over medium heat until onion is golden and bacon is crisp. Drain off fat and stir bacon and onion into beans. Add mustard and salt and pepper, to taste. Add ginger; combine well. Turn into a 2-quart baking dish; drizzle with the honey. Cover and bake 1 1/2 hours. Remove the cover the last 30 minutes to brown the top.
3: Black Eyed Peas Salad with Basil Dressing
- 3 cups canned or cooked black-eyed peas (2 15-ounce cans, drained)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 small sweet red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- Basil Dressing
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 2 to 3 medium cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup olive oil
- fresh basil or parsley for garnish
PREPARATION:In a serving bowl combine black-eyed peas, 1/4 teaspoon salt, chopped onion, celery, and green pepper. Set aside.
In a small bowl or other container, whisk together the vinegar, basil, garlic, sugar, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper.Gradually whisk in the oil until the dressing is well blended. You can use a blender for this step, if desired.
In a medium bowl, combine the black-eyed peas, the chopped onion, celery, bell pepper, and basil dressing. Cover and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, at least 2 hours or overnight. Serve with a garnish of fresh parsley or basil, if desired.
- Hoppin John.
- Collard Greens.
Have fun this year, and hope you prosper!
Technorati Tags: hoppin john collard greens recipe collard greens black eyed peas recipes hoppin john recipe black eyed peas and ham new years eve food